Bulgaria's Reformist Bloc Endorses GERB Candidate in Presidential Vote Runoff
The junior ally in Bulgaria's minority coalition government will fully stand behind Tsetska Tsacheva, the main ruling party candidate, in the presidential election runoff, one of its co-chairs has said.
A decision has been taken by the Reformist Bloc (RB) coalition to back GERB's candidate, Bozhidar Lukarski has told public broadcaster BNT.
"We cannot allow for a red general to head the state and change the Euro-Atlanticist orientiation of Bulgaria," Lukarski has argued.
He has made clear the RB, which proposed its own candidate in the elections, will act along its traditional "anti-communism" lines.
Radev, a former Air Force Commander, is running as independent but is supported by the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP), the heir to the Soviet-era Bulgarian Communist Party.
His right-wing opponents have accused him of being pro-Russian and anti-Western, something he denies.
Radev is tipped to win the first round of the presidential election acording to exit polls.
The runoff vote is due on November 13, next Sunday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend