16,000 Illegal Migrants Enter Bulgaria Since Beginning of 2016
About 16,000 foreigners have entered Bulgaria illegally since the beginning of the year, showed data of the State Agency for Refugees, reported BGNES.
7,000 come from Afghanistan and less than 2,000 are from Syria.
Most migrants are from Iraq and Pakistan.
The data shows that 57% of the persons seeking protection are men, 32% are children and the rest are women.
Only 4% of the migrants have higher education.
A few days ago, Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova said that two years is a sufficient period of time for migrants to integrate in society and find a job. She added that statements to the effect that “a change of the ethnic composition of the nation is imminent” are mere speculation.
The European Commission granted EUR 108 M to Bulgaria in the beginning of October so that the country may deal with migrant pressure at the borders.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Caretaker Interior Minister: Top Prosecutor Covers up for Corrupt Politicians, Magistrates in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Prosecution Office Requested More Info from US on Sanctioned Bulgarian Nationals under Magnitsky Act
- » Bulgaria Requests from US Additional Info on Persons Sanctioned under Magnitski Act
- » Passenger Vehicle Sales See Sharp Uptick in Bulgaria
- » EU Health Commissioner Comes to Sofia to Discuss Pandemic Issues, Vaccination
- » Bulgaria: President Radev Briefs EU, US Ambassadors on Caretaker Government Priorities