Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Bulgarians Voting in Britain Should Expect Delays
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is working within the limits set by the Electoral Code and may not open more election sections than the number stipulated by law, stated on Nova TV Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov.
Thus, despite the wish of Bulgarians living in the UK, there will not be more than 35 sections and there must be at least 60 voting declarations filed for every single one.
Mitov warned that Bulgarians in the UK may expect voting to be slow due to the need to add names to the electoral lists on the spot.
In Germany, there will be electoral sections in the Bulgarian embassy and the consular missions, as well as the offices of honorary consuls. Bulgaria has been denied the option of opening electoral sections elsewhere. Mitov explained that this has been an exception so far and will not be allowed now due to the fact that Germany does not want to be involved in guaranteeing security outside these places and does not want to set a precedent for other countries.
Thus, Bulgarians will be able to vote in the presidential elections and the referendum on November 6 in 8 cities only. By comparison, Bulgarians in Germany were able to vote in 16 cities in the parliamentary elections in 2014.
The Foreign Ministry has recommended to the Central Election Commission (CEC) not to open sections in countries like North Korea because there is no point in doing this, or in other countries like Syria and Libya for security reasons.
Voters abroad will be able to cast their votes at any place convenient for them where there is an electoral section. For this purpose, they have to present their personal ID card and fill in a declaration that they have not voted elsewhere which will be made available by CEC.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Decided: Bulgaria Will Vote By Both Machine and Paper Ballot
- » Bulgaria MPs Decide How Elections Will Take Place
- » Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov and Turkish President Recep Erdogan Speak Over Phone
- » India's Defence Minister: We Are Ready to Deal With Any Situation Regarding the India-China Border Tensions
- » Kornelia Ninova Won the First Direct Election for Chairperson of the Bulgarian Socialist Party
- » Meeting of External Affairs Minister of India and the Foreign Minister of China