The Guardian: Bokova To Become UN Deputy Secretary General
After being unsuccessful in the round of voting, Irina Bokova is on the way of becoming Deputy Secretary General of the UN, reported The Guardian, cited by Nova TV and Darik radio.
“It is claimed that the Russians are furious that, under pressure from the European Union, Bulgaria nominated another candidate – European Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva,” writes the newspaper.
According to The Guardian, a few hours after Antonio Guterres received the full support of the Security Council, speculations surfaced that Russia will be compensated for its vote. Electing Bokova is precisely one of the gestures that might be made to Moscow.
“Without having any special preferences, Guterres will need clear ideas about personnel. He will have to improve the efficiency of the organisation,” writes The Guardian.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 70 Diplomats and Employees of the Russian Embassy are Leaving Bulgaria
- » Expelled Russian Diplomats are Leaving Bulgaria with their Families: 2 Flights are Taking Out more than 160 People Today
- » Ambassador Mitrofanova will Propose to Putin the Closure of the Russian Embassy in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria will not Fulfill the Russian Ultimatum
- » Black Smoke over the Russian Embassy in Sofia
- » Bulgarian MFA: Calls for Support for the Russian Military are Absolutely Unacceptable