The Guardian: Bokova To Become UN Deputy Secretary General
After being unsuccessful in the round of voting, Irina Bokova is on the way of becoming Deputy Secretary General of the UN, reported The Guardian, cited by Nova TV and Darik radio.
“It is claimed that the Russians are furious that, under pressure from the European Union, Bulgaria nominated another candidate – European Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva,” writes the newspaper.
According to The Guardian, a few hours after Antonio Guterres received the full support of the Security Council, speculations surfaced that Russia will be compensated for its vote. Electing Bokova is precisely one of the gestures that might be made to Moscow.
“Without having any special preferences, Guterres will need clear ideas about personnel. He will have to improve the efficiency of the organisation,” writes The Guardian.
- » Today is the Donald Trump Vladimir Putin Helsinki Summit
- » Ukrainian President Appoints Ambassadors to Bulgaria and Algeria
- » Uzbek-Bulgarian Trade House Opens in Sofia
- » Trump Starts his UK Tour by Threatening to Kill off US a Trade Deal
- » Bulgaria’s President Radev Talks with Donald Trump at the NATO Summit
- » Bulgaria’s President at the NATO Summit in Brussels