Death Toll in Italian Earthquake Rises to 247

Society » INCIDENTS | August 25, 2016, Thursday // 09:39| Views: | Comments: 0
Bulgaria: Death Toll in Italian Earthquake Rises to 247 A handout picture made available by the Italian Civil Protection press office on 24 August 2016 shows an aerial view of collapsed buildings in Pescara del Tronto, central Italy, 24 August 2016, following a 6.2 magnitude earthquake. EPA/BGNES

The death toll in Wednesday’s earthquake in central Italy has risen to at least 247 as more than 4,300 rescuers continued to search for survivors through the night, the authorities have said.

Dozens of people are still missing and are believed trapped in the ruined towns of Amatrice, Accumoli and Pescara del Tronto.

The 6.2-magnitude quake hit 100km north-east of Rome in the early hours of Wednesday, flattening buildings and burying people under the rubble in towns and villages in the mountainous area where the regions of Umbria, Lazio and Le Marche meet.

Many survivors slept in cars or tents overnight, with 150 aftershocks felt in the 12 hours following the initial quake, the strongest measuring 5.5 on the Richter scale. Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said that at least 368 injured people had been taken to hospital by late on Wednesday.

Incidents » Be a reporter: Write and send your article
Tags: Italy, quake, death toll, survivors, Renzi
Advertisement
Advertisement
Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
Bulgaria news Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) is unique with being a real time news provider in English that informs its readers about the latest Bulgarian news. The editorial staff also publishes a daily online newspaper "Sofia Morning News." Novinite.com (Sofia News Agency - www.sofianewsagency.com) and Sofia Morning News publish the latest economic, political and cultural news that take place in Bulgaria. Foreign media analysis on Bulgaria and World News in Brief are also part of the web site and the online newspaper. News Bulgaria