Migrant Arrivals by Sea in Europe Top 264,000 in 2016 - IOM
An estimated 264,513 migrants and refugees have entered Europe by sea in 2016 through 11 August, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has reported.
The latest IOM figures show that there were 877 migrant arrivals in Europe by sea between August 7 and August 11.
Most of the arrivals in 2016 were recorded in Greece (161,232) and Italy (100,777). This compared with 234,457 arrivals in Greece and 116,147 in Italy in the first eight months of 2015.
The IOM has recorded the deaths of 3,151 migrants and refugees through 11 August. The decrease from the previous count of 3,176 was due to a data re-check of bodies recovered off Libya last week. Yet, the new figure is higher than the 2,754 fatalities recorded in January-August 2015.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 168 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Explosions hit Russian Military Airbase in Annexed Crimea
- » Ukraine Stopped the Transit of Russian Oil to Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia
- » Day 167 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zaporizhzhia to hold a Referendum on Joining Russia
- » Nuclear Tensions: Russia has told the US it is temporarily suspending inspections under New START
- » The FBI raided Donald Trump's Mansion
- » Day 166 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Amnesty Apologized for its Report but Did Not Retract its Findings