Migrant Arrivals by Sea in Europe Top 264,000 in 2016 - IOM
An estimated 264,513 migrants and refugees have entered Europe by sea in 2016 through 11 August, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has reported.
The latest IOM figures show that there were 877 migrant arrivals in Europe by sea between August 7 and August 11.
Most of the arrivals in 2016 were recorded in Greece (161,232) and Italy (100,777). This compared with 234,457 arrivals in Greece and 116,147 in Italy in the first eight months of 2015.
The IOM has recorded the deaths of 3,151 migrants and refugees through 11 August. The decrease from the previous count of 3,176 was due to a data re-check of bodies recovered off Libya last week. Yet, the new figure is higher than the 2,754 fatalities recorded in January-August 2015.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Estonia Closes its Borders for Russians with Schengen Visas
- » European Funds Minister: Bulgaria to Receive BGN 3.7 Billion in the Coming Months from the Recovery Plan
- » Day 169 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky called on his Compatriots under Russian Occupation to Rise Up
- » Food Prices in the US with a Record Jump
- » North Korea has declared Victory over COVID-19 and blamed Seoul for the Outbreak
- » Day 168 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Explosions hit Russian Military Airbase in Annexed Crimea