Bulgaria Jails Man over People Smuggling, Attempted Bribery
The Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS) of Bulgaria has issued a two-year sentence of a man who tried to smuggle 41 migrants into Romania and to pay a hand a bribe to a customs official.
The ruling cannot be appealed. The sentence is already being enforced, the Customs Agency's branch in the northern town of Ruse has also awarded
The incident took place around 03:00 local time on April 2015.
As a customs official was to inspect a refrigerator truck due to the "suspicious" behaviour of the driver, named as Kemal Turan, the latter offered a bribe, handing out a stack of money and whispering it contained EUR 2500.
The customs officer, however, turned the money down, with Turan subsequently being arrested. Before his detention he had also offered BGN 2625 to a border police officer.
Forty-one foreign nationals were found inside the truck, four of them children.
Turan refused to plead guilty and appealed the sentence two times.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 9 Detained in Sliven Region during Police Operation against Domestic Crime and Vote Buying
- » Bulgaria: A Ukrainian was Arrested for Transporting Migrants on “Trakia” Highway
- » Bulgaria: Police detained a Drugged Syrian transporting Migrants near Shumen
- » 92-Year-Old Bulgarian caught Driving without a License…AGAIN
- » Three Bulgarians, including a Pregnant Woman and a Military Man, caught Transporting Migrants in Plovdiv
- » Bulgarian Police Detained over 30 Migrants near Sofia