Greek Court Slaps Five Life Sentences for Smuggling 2.1 T Heroin
A Greek court has sentenced to life in prison five of the 13 main defendants found guilty of smuggling 2.1 tonnes of heroin into the country, Greek news agency AMNA has reported.
The massive drug haul was discovered aboard Togo-flagged freighter Noor 1 and in a warehouse in Greece. The ship was arrested by the Greek authorities while en route from the United Arab Emirates to Elefsina in Greece in June 2014
The Dubai-based broker of the ship, who was also the vessel's captain, was sentenced to life imprisonment plus nine years for his role as agent for the Noor 1 and has also been ordered to pay a fine of EUR 600,000. The vessel’s former owner was sentenced to life imprisonment plus eight years and a fine of EUR 300,000.
Piraeus Criminal Appeals Court also issued life sentences plus eight years and a fine of EUR 200,000 each for three men of Turkish origin arrested in a warehouse in Greece in which a large part of the drug had been found, according to AMNA.
The sentences can be appealed in a higher court, according to greekreporter.com news provider.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Young Man was Found Dead in the center of Varna, a Murder has been Confirmed
- » Bulgarian Ruja Ignatova is in the Top 10 of the FBI's Most Wanted
- » After the First 13 - Three more Illegally Buried Bodies found near Bankya
- » Teenagers Attacked and Robbed a Postal Worker in Parvomai
- » Bulgaria: 16 Arrested in Smolyan region - Most of them were British Citizens
- » A Suspect of Terrorism has been Detained in Bulgaria at the Request of Norway