Bulgaria Detains 56 Migrants Trying to Illegally Cross Into Serbia
Bulgarian border police have detained 56 foreign nationals who attempted to illegally cross into Serbia over the past 24 hours.
Twenty-one Afghan nationals and five Syrians were found crammed into three passenger cars stopped for inspection by police on the road leading to Kalotina checkpoint on the border with Serbia on Wednesday.
Twenty-three of the foreign nationals have been registered with the State Agency for Refugees seeking protection in Bulgaria, the Interior Ministry said in a statement on Thursday.
The three car drivers were charged with people trafficking.
Another 19 Afghan nationals and 11 Pakistanis were detained in the area close to the border with Serbia. Most of them were registered with the State Agency for Refugees.
Border police have also thwarted seven attempts to cross the border into Bulgaria from Turkey, in which a total of 114 irregular migrants were involved, over the past 24 hours, the Interior Ministry added.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria