Germany Calls on Turkey to Show Restraint in Response to Thwarted Coup Attempt
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has urged the Turkish government to show restraint in its response to the foiled coup attempt and end the three-month state of emergency as quickly as possible.
In a statement issued late on Wednesday Steinmeier called on the Turkish government to maintain both the rule of law and a sense of proportionality in its reaction to the coup attempt.
"Only provable involvement in illegal acts, not suspected political leanings, should trigger governmental action," international newswires quoted Steinmeier as saying in the statement.
It was in Turkey's interest to "keep the state of emergency only for the duration that is absolutely necessary and then immediately end it," Steinmeier added.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared a three-month state of emergency on Wednesday night following last week's thwarted coup attempt.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Tragedy in India: At least 50 Dead and hundreds Injured after Train Crash
- » 700 NATO troops have arrived in Northern Kosovo
- » Day 464 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia faces a Dilemma whether to Protect its Border or the Occupied Territories
- » The Richest Man in the World: Elon Musk regained the Top Spot in the ranking
- » The US Senate has approved Raising the National Debt Ceiling
- » The Bulgarian Socialists did not support the EP's decision on Аmmunition for Ukraine