Germany Calls on Turkey to Show Restraint in Response to Thwarted Coup Attempt
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has urged the Turkish government to show restraint in its response to the foiled coup attempt and end the three-month state of emergency as quickly as possible.
In a statement issued late on Wednesday Steinmeier called on the Turkish government to maintain both the rule of law and a sense of proportionality in its reaction to the coup attempt.
"Only provable involvement in illegal acts, not suspected political leanings, should trigger governmental action," international newswires quoted Steinmeier as saying in the statement.
It was in Turkey's interest to "keep the state of emergency only for the duration that is absolutely necessary and then immediately end it," Steinmeier added.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan declared a three-month state of emergency on Wednesday night following last week's thwarted coup attempt.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission announced Five Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria
- » The Minimum Wage in Romania Jumps to 663 Euros compared to Bulgaria's 398 Euros
- » The Recession in Germany will be Deeper than Expected
- » Day 582 of the Invasion of Ukraine: NATO Chief visited Kyiv
- » The Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh will soon Cease to Exist
- » North Korea wrote its Nuclear Status into the Constitution