Scotland Plans Second Independence Referendum After UK Votes for Brexit
Speaking at a news conference in Edinburgh on Friday, First Minister of Scotland and leader of the Scottish National Party (SNP), Nicola Sturgeon, said that it was “democratically unacceptable” Scotland to be taken out of the EU against its will.
Since the majority of Scottish voters (62 %) voted in favour of the UK to stay in the EU, the holding of a second independence referendum has become highly likely.
Sturgeon added that the Scottish Government will begin preparations for another referendum on the independence of country.
In its manifesto, SNP vowed to hold a second independence referendum in the event of major change to the UK's circumstances. This opportunity has now presented itself after the majority of the UK voted in favour of Brexit.
In September 2014, Scotland held its first referendum on independence from the UK, with 55.3 % of Scottish voters opting to stay in the UK.
Sturgeon called for Scotland to be fully involved in the renegotiation of the UK's relationship with the EU, The Independent informs.
In this respect, she has found common ground with the recently elected mayor of London Sadiq Khan.
Similarly to Scotland and Northern Ireland, the voters in London voted firmly in favour of the UK remaining part of the EU.
Sturgeon will seek direct discussions with the institutions and the member states of the EU, including meeting with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker as early as possible.
After the majority of UK voters (51.9 %) opted for leaving the EU, British Prime Minister David Cameron announced his resignation on Friday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Biden Discussed the Ukrainian Crisis and action Against Russia with European Leaders
- » EU has No Plans to Withdraw from Ukraine and Expects the US to explain Why they did
- » Thousands Protested against COVID Measures in Brussels (VIDEOS)
- » From Today: Stricter Restrictions on the Unvaccinated in France
- » The Commander of the German Navy has Resigned after Praising Putin
- » The EC welcomes the Dialogue between the Prime Ministers of Bulgaria and North Macedonia