European Monitoring of Bulgarian Prosecution to Begin on Monday
The European monitoring of the work of the Bulgarian prosecutor's office will formally begin on Monday when four European prosecutors are expected to arrive in the country.
In the space of one week, prosecutors from the Netherlands, Germany, the UK and Spain will meet with their Bulgarian counterparts, analyse their work, examine ongoing lawsuits and issue recommendations.
The European prosecutors will work together with experts from the European Commission and have planned meetings with representatives of Bulgaria's justice ministry.
The decision for European monitoring of the Bulgarian prosecution was taken after the latest report under the EU's Cooperation and Verification Mechanism (CVM) released at the end of January.
Formally, the monitoring was requested by Bulgarian authorities and personally by Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
At present, there is no information whether the European prosecutors will deliver public statements at the beginning of their inspection, daily Sega reports.
The inspection of Bulgaria's prosecution will last six months. The analysis of the four prosecutors and the representatives of the European Commission is expected to be completed at the end of the year.
The comments of the foreign prosecutors are expected to have leading role when compiling the next report under the CVM mechanism which should be released at the beginning of next year.
Earlier this year, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker pledged to end the CVM mechanism for Bulgaria and Romania by the end of his term in 2019.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria