EU Team Analyzing Bulgaria's Prosecution to Arrive in May
Experts who will have to analyze the work of the Bulgarian Prosecutor's Office are set to arrive at the end of May, the Justice Ministry says.
Initially the date of arrival was in the beginning of April but failure to coordinate schedules resulted in a postponement for May 30, Dnevnik.bg quotes the ministry as saying in a reply to questions from the news website.
Magistrates from Span, Germany, the UK, and the Netherlands are expected to arrive and conduct an analysis of of the structure, functional model, and independence of prosecuting authorities, the ministry adds. In April, acting Spanish Justice Minister Rafael Catal? told Novinite a Spanish prosecutor was part of the team.
An "independent analysis" of the prosecution was part of the recommendations submitted by the EU Commission in its Cooperation and Verification Mechanism (CVM) report on Bulgaria in January. Earlier, the idea had been voiced by ex-Justice Minister Hristo Ivanov (who resigned in December after his judicial reform proposal was partly watered down by Parliament) and Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
It comes as Bulgaria is working to carry through a judicial reform that the government says will help the country get rid of corruption, while the opposition believes it is a way to purge the system of certain appointments.
The experts will only work on structural and functional issues of the prosecutor's office, but will also have access to particular cases if necessary.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend