Alexander Nevsky Cathedral to Remain Open All Night on Sunday
The landmark St Alexander Nevsky cathedral in central Sofia will remain open throughout the night on Sunday into Monday, Focus News Agency quotes clerical officials as saying.
With crowds of people queuing to see and pay homage to an icon of Virgin Mary (Sveta Bogoroditsa Vsetsaritsa), Archimandrite Dionisiy, who oversees the second-biggest cathedral in the Balkans, has decided to extend visiting time to allow everyone to see the image with their own eyes.
On Monday, the icon will be brought to the monastery of St Cosma and Damyan in Western Bulgaria.
It was exhibited at the Alexander Nevsky Catherdral as a gesture to the laymen for the Easter celebrations.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » “Thracian Secret Societies” available in English and Bulgarian for All the History Buffs
- » Bulgaria’s Independence Day: No Lights for the Soviet Monuments and in Protest against Russia
- » Bulgaria Celebrates 114 Years of Independence
- » Unification of Bulgaria: Celebrations were held in Plovdiv and Sofia
- » Bulgaria Celebrates 137 years since Unification
- » “Book Alley” in Sofia begins with Record Number of Publishers