Stiliyan Petrov Could Also Return to Bulgaria’s National Football Team
Retired midfielder Stiliyan Petrov has expressed readiness to return as a player in Bulgaria’s men national football team if he manages to get back in shape.
The news comes shortly after Petrov said earlier this week that he is considering to renew his professional career in his last professional football club Aston Villa.
After being diagnosed with acute leukaemia in 2012, the player had to retire prematurely in 2013.
Undergoing a treatment, which ended at the beginning of last year, Petrov managed to overcome the disease and since then has been in remission.
Earlier this week, Petrov revealed that he has been on a secret training programme with the under-21 team of Aston Villa and has readiness to start with the first team in the new season.
Upon hearing the news, Bulgaria’s head coach Ivaylo Petev said that Petrov is also welcome to come back to the national team where he be a great inspiration for the younger players.
He is not only former captain of the national team, but also holds the record for most appearances with the national team.
As a former captain of Aston Villa, Petrov could also serve as inspiration for the team which from next season will be playing in the Championship after being relegated from the Premier League.
The Bulgarian is firm that Aston Villa remains his priority despite having received offers from other British managers.
According to British media, Celtic, where Petrov used to play before moving to Aston Villa, is another option for him.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Mobile Betting Apps: Sports News and Tips
- » Four Bronze Medals for Bulgarian students from the Informatics Olympiad
- » Nurgyul Salimova with a Record Rating in the FIDE Rankings
- » Nurgyul Salimova: I am Proud of what I have Achieved, I Felt the Support of many Bulgarians and People from all over the World
- » After 30 years: Bulgaria Won again the Team World Title in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- » Women's Spanish teams Refuse to Play until the President of the Football Federation is replaced