Orthodox Christians Celebrate Palm Sunday
Orthodox Christians are celebrating Palm Sunday this Sunday, marking a week before the celebration of Orthodox Easter.
Palm Sunday celebrates the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem when he was greeted by people with palm branches.
In Bulgaria, Palm Sunday is also known as Tsvetnitsa (Flower's Day). It is one of the most popular holidays as all people whose names derive from flowers, trees or other plants are celebrating their name day.
Most people attend church service where they light candles and are handed branches of willow, which have been consecrated by a priest. People take the willow branches home and put them on icons.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Hurricane Wind Damaged a Commercial Establishment and Cars in Pazardzhik
- » Second Day of Bomb Threats in Schools across Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: New Bomb Threat at a School in Sofia
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Over 250 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Code Orange for Strong Winds in 8 Regions of Bulgaria for Today
- » Bulgaria: New, Stricter Measures for Traffic Violators