Two Bulgarians Recognised at 2016 MEP Awards
Two Bulgarian MEPs were recognised at this year's edition of the MEP awards which were announced at a ceremony on Wednesday.
The twelfth edition of the annual awards of The Parliament Magazine recognised the work and achievements of MEPs across a range of police areas.
Mariya Gabriel (EPP) was awarded in the development category, while Filiz Hyusmenova (ALDE) won the award in the employment and social affairs category.
Gabriel is member of the European Parliament's delegation to the ACP-EU joint parliamentary assembly and is currently co-rapporteur on the evaluation of the African peace facility.
The magazine notes her efforts to include more migration-related topics since 2009, long before the beginning of the current refugee crisis.
She is also a substitute on the women's rights and gender equality committee where she highlights the important role women have to play in peace building and development.
Last year, Gabriel organised a competition in Bulgaria to encourage students to reflect on the European year of development and the EU's fundamental values – democracy, human rights and peace.
Hyusmenova was recognised for her support on social equality in maternal healthcare and her efforts on ensuring adequate social support for all mothers-to-be in Europe.
She has provided a voice and rallying point for those seeking to redress the inequalities in social care between member states.
The magazine notes her support for the Alliance for Maternal Health Equality and reminds that she has personally led the call for parliamentary declaration on universal right access to maternal healthcare for all.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria