Sofia Airport Restores Normal Operation After False Bomb Threat
The airport in the Bulgarian capital has restored its normal operation shortly after midnight on Thursday after a false bomb threat led to extra security measures being enforced on Wednesday evening.
As of Thursday, the airport is open and flights are running according to schedule, daily Dnevnik informs.
The police blockade and checks did not find any explosive devices, private bTV station adds.
The police inspected both terminals as well as the cars of people who had come to welcome relatives arriving at the airport.
The threat was submitted by a man calling from a street telephone, who claimed that a passenger with a bomb planted in his/her luggage would arrive at the airport.
Following the threat, the passage of private vehicles and public transport was suspended in the section between the airport and the traffic lights at Brussels boulevard leading to it.
Due to the police blockade, arriving passengers had to walk several kilometres in the rain before they could reach a suitable place to get on a taxi or take the public transport.
Passage of traffic in the area was hampered, with large queues of vehicles forming, while hundreds of passengers were forced to wait.
There were no disruptions to the schedule of flights, but passengers complained of the lack of information, while people in waiting rooms were asked to leave due to security concerns.
Officers from the Sofia directorate of the interior ministry, border police, airport officials as well as specially trained dogs took part in the operation.
The extra security measures were lifted as of midnight and no special regime is foreseen for Thursday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Explosions at "Arsenal" Weapons Factory in Kazanlak – Casualties reported
- » Passengers Wait over 6 hours for a Wizz Air Flight to Valencia at Sofia Airport
- » Bulgaria: 18-year-old on Amphetamines killed 22-year-old Student in Car Crash
- » Bulgaria: Taxi carrying Illegal Migrants from Syria Crashed in Sofia
- » Car Accidents with Casualties all over Bulgaria Today
- » Bulgaria: Car Crash on the Ring Road in Sofia, One Person confirmed Dead