Hungary Declares State of Emergency Over Migrants
The Hungarian government is declaring a state of emergency over the migrant crisis, with the measure applicable to the entire area of the country.
This was announced by Hungarian Interior Minister Sandor Pinter on Wednesday, hungarytoday.hu informs.
According to the Hungarian authorities, this measure is necessary due to the unknown effects which could arise from the closure of the Western Balkan route to migrants.
In the past weeks, an average of hundred individuals have been entering Hungary illegally through its southern border.
Hungary will deploy additional number of policemen and servicemen to the borders, with 1500 troops expected to participate in the operation.
Pinter added that Hungary has readiness to close the border with Romania if the need arises, but at present the government did not see this as necessary.
According to reports, no migrants have been entering Serbia or crossing from Serbia to Croatia since Tuesday midnight.
The last train destined to Serbia departed from Macedonia on Monday with 437 migrants on board.
The Western Balkan route has been practically closed as of midnight after Slovenia and Croatia had announced the introduction of border restrictions, allowing only people with valid visas and passports to enter their countries.
Serbia followed suit by announcing the introduction of reciprocal measures on its borders with Bulgaria and Macedonia.
Macedonia has also moved to close its borders, with authorities reporting that not a single asylum-seeker has been registered at the Gevgelija refugee transit centre near the border with Greece.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The EC is Proposing to Confiscate the Assets of Violators of EU Sanctions
- » Will Bulgaria’s Prime Minister join the EU Liberals
- » Orban will be able to Rule with Decrees due to the War in Ukraine
- » Borrell: The EU needs to Strengthen its Military Security
- » Germany’s Chancellor Rejects Ukraine's Swift Entry into the EU - Deems it Unfair to the Balkans
- » European Commission Proposed an Armaments Plan to Ensure the Security of the EU