Bulgarian Culture Minister Calls for Restoring Demolished Tobacco Warehouse in Plovdiv
Bulgarian Culture Minister Vezhdi Rashidov called on Tuesday for restoring the demolished tobacco warehouse in the city of Plovdiv to its original look.
Back in January 2014, the culture ministry informed the municipality of Plovdiv that the building is situated on a protected territory and any interventions should be carried out in compliance with the Cultural Heritage Act.
The ministry notes that the people who have demolished the warehouse and those responsible for authorising its demolition have breached the law.
Rashidov ordered the imposition of administrative sanctions for the destruction of immovable cultural heritage.
It is within the power of the ministry's general directorate “Inspectorate for the protection of cultural heritage” to order the restoration of the monument of culture to its original look.
According to the Cultural Heritage Act, the building should be restored to its original spatial parameters with all its architectural and artistic features.
The period within which the restoration should be completed will be determined by the culture minister.
Rashidov assured that all actions will be taken to remove the consequences resulting from the demolition of the cultural heritage.
Plovdiv's chamber of architects also called on Monday for the restoration of the warehouse to its original look after it turned out that the building is part of an ensemble known as the “tobacco town”, which has been designated as monument of culture.
In 2014, a permit for construction of a new building on the site of the warehouse, which had been issued in 2010, was renewed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian History: 119 years since the Ilinden–Preobrazhenie Uprising
- » After the Arson in North Macedonia the Renovated Facade of the Bulgarian Cultural Center is Ready
- » Bulgaria Celebrates the 185th Anniversary of the Birth of Vasil Levski
- » “Bulgaria and Macedonia. History and Politics” Enters all major World Libraries in English
- » Bulgarian Actress Maria Bakalova will be in Guardians of the Galaxy 3
- » US with a Report on Religious Freedom in Bulgaria: Mosques are not Built or Repaired