Thousands of Bulgarians Bid Farewell to Trifon Ivanov in Veliko Tarnovo
Thousands of Bulgarians bid farewell to the legendary defender Trifon Ivanov in the city of Veliko Tarnovo on Wednesday.
Ivanov passed away at the age of fifty on Saturday after suffering a massive heart attack.
The memorial service was held in the Palace of Culture and Sports and was attended by relatives, friends, former teammates and ordinary citizens.
The sports ministry awarded Ivanov posthumously with the “Wreath of the winner”, the highest distinction given by the ministry for exceptional sports achievements.
The mayor of Veliko Tarnovo, Daniel Panov, announced that the municipality will establish an annual award for most perspective young player and an international junior football tournament, both in the name of Trifon Ivanov.
Most of the players of Bulgaria's golden football generation of the 1990s attended the memorial ceremony.
Hristo Stoichkov and Krasimir Balakov flew respectively from the USA and Germany to bid farewell to their friend and teammate.
Statements of condolences were read out on behalf of Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov and President Rosen Plevneliev.
Ivanov will be remembered both for his selflessness and dedication on the pitch as well as for his humility, kindness and sense of humour outside it.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: There are 34 Active Fires in the Country, the Situation in Most Places is Under Control
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 1,636 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » The Extinguishing of Fires all over Bulgaria Continues - “Maritsa” Highway will be Closed
- » Bulgaria: No more Masks in Some Places from Tomorrow - See Where they Remain Mandatory
- » Which are the Most Popular but Expensive Destinations to Study Abroad
- » Bulgaria: A Landslide on the Beach in Albena Buried a Man and a Woman - They are Alive