Pope Francis, Russian Patriach Call for Christian Unity in Historic Meeting
Pope Francis and Russian Orthodox Patriach Kirill called for restoring Christian unity and preserving the traditions of Christianity in a historic meeting held in Cuba on Friday.
This was the first meeting between a pope and the head of the Russian church since the Great Schism of 1054, which resulted in the split of the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches.
In a joint declaration, they called on the world to protect Christians from persecution in the Middle East.
At the start of their meeting, the two religious leaders embraced and exchanged kisses.
At a news conference after the meeting, they described the talks as “open”, “brotherly” and “sincere”.
In a declaration, they urged the international community to end violence and terrorism, restore civil peace and provide humanitarian aid to refugees.
The religious leaders hope that their meeting will inspire Christians to pray for full unity of the churches.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Biden-Zelensky Conversation did Not go Well
- » NATO is considering Deploying Troops in Slovakia
- » US: NATO will Not Close Out for Ukraine – Possible Blockade of Nord Stream 2
- » Russia and Ukraine have Agreed to Abide by the Ceasefire
- » China has Informed the US it does Not Want Escalation of Tensions over Ukraine
- » Austria Cancels Lockdown for the Unvaccinated