Bulgarian Authorities Bust Migrant Smuggling Ring
The Bulgarian authorities have cracked down on a organized crime group dealing in bringing in illegal migrants into the country and smuggling them to Western Europe, the Ministry of the Interior announced on Wednesday.
Six Bulgarian citizens and an Afghan national legally residing in the country had been detained for 72 hours on 2 February in a joint operation of police, the prosecuting authorities and DANS homeland security agency, the Ministry of the Interior said in a statement.
More than 40 illegal migrants awaiting to be smuggled out of Bulgaria were also detained in the operation conducted in the regions of Burgas, Pazardzhik, Blagoevgrad and Pernik. Their nationalities were not disclosed.
Criminal charges were brought on Wednesday against the detained people smugglers who had been operating since January 2015, according to the statement.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Murder in Sofia: A Man Died from Multiple Stab Wounds, his Son was Detained
- » Bulgaria: Authorities Detained a Police Officer while On Duty with more than 1.6 Promille of Alcohol
- » Specialized Police Operation in the Bulgarian Village of Sindel after the Rape of a 73-year-old Woman
- » A 73-year-old Woman was Raped in a Bulgarian Village
- » 30 Days in Detention for the Attacker of Bulgarian Hristiyan Pendikov in North Macedonia
- » Prosecutor General: The US Settlement with Nexo has Nothing to do with the Bulgarian Investigation