Uber to Expand Its Sofia Development Center
US-based transportation network Uber is intending to double the number of IT professionals working for its engineering center in Bulgaria's capital Sofia, the company has said.
The Sofia center, one of Uber's six units across the globe working to create and develop digital services, employed 19 people as of August 2015 and is willing to have twice the number by the end of the year, a Uber press statement reads.
"Our engineering center in Sofia is of global strategic importance to Uber. I am looking forward to attracting more talented people from the country that is rightly known as Europe's Silicon Valley," Tuan Pham, CTO at Uber, is quoted as saying.
The company's plans to strengthen its developers team comes against the background of a dispute between its services unit - Uber Bulgaria - and officials in the country.
A ruling by Bulgaria's competition watchdog last summer suggested the company did not comply with legal arrangements and was to suspend its services, a decision confirmed by a court. Uber stopped offering transportation to users, but vowed to stay in Bulgaria describing the situation as "temporary" and saying it would appeal the decision.
The Supreme Administrative Court is to have a say in the case on October 11.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Head of the Bulgarian National Bank: Joining the Eurozone will Speed Up Structural Reforms in our Country
- » Bulgaria has a little over 1 Million tons of Oil and Oil Product Reserves
- » Gas in Europe is Rising in Price with the Onset of Cold Weather
- » The Growth of the Bulgarian Economy between July and September was 3.3%
- » Bulgaria begins preparations for the minting of Euro Coins
- » Minister of Economy: Bulgaria will get away with the Recession, there will be a sharp Drop in Inflation