Russia Calls for Mutual Sharing of Information on IS Group with U.S.
Russia is ready to share information with the US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group on the location of militants in Syria and expects the same in return, a senior Russian military official has said.
“We are ready to provide our partners with the coordinates of Daesh facilities and are expecting from them mutual information on the infrastructure of terrorist organizations,” the head of the Russian General Staff’s operations department Lt.-Gen. Sergei Rudskoy told journalists on Friday, using the Arabic acronym for IS, according to sputniknews.com.
The United States stands ready to work with Russia, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said last week following a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov in Moscow last week.
“We see Syria fundamentally very similarly, we want the same outcomes, we see the same dangers, we understand the same challenges," Kerry said.
Last week, the UN Security Council adopted unanimously a resolution calling for a cease-fire and a peace process in Syria that could potentially put an end to the civil war in the country that had begun nearly five years ago.
The document reflects efforts by the U.S. and Russia to find common national interests to stop the conflict even if they cannot yet overcome their differences over the ultimate future of Syria.
The U.S. have said the Russian airstrikes in Syria have been targeting primarily opposition groups fighting the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, not the forces of the Islamic State group. Moscow has said that it had asked Washington to coordinate military operations in Syria since the start of Russian airstrikes there.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Number of Russian Soldiers Killed and Wounded is approaching 180,000, according to a Norwegian General
- » Russia on Petkov: The Emphasis is Not on the Weapons, but on the Fact that He initiated the Exclusion from SWIFT
- » Medvedev: If a Nuclear Power Loses a War, it can Trigger a Nuclear Conflict
- » Russian Politician demanded the Assassination of the German Foreign Minister
- » The Kremlin declared Victory in Soledar
- » Estonia is Expelling 21 Russian Diplomats