Riot Erupts in Dutch Town over Plan to Build Asylum Centre
Dutch police had to fire warning shots to disperse protesters opposing plans to build a centre for asylum seekers in the town of Geldermalsen on Wednesday night, the BBC reported.
Demonstrators threw fireworks and bottles at police in protest at the plan of municipal authorities to accommodate 1,500 asylum seekers in the town of 27,000 located 72 km from The Hague
According to local media reports, more than 2,000 people had taken part in the protest, which made local councilors to abandon their meeting convened to discuss the plan to build housing for migrants, SkyNews said.
The migration crisis in Europe is expected to dominate a meeting of EU leaders in Brussels on Thursday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Biden Meets Putin in Geneva to Set "Predictable" Relationship
- » Israel Carries Out Strikes on Gaza after Fire Balloons Hit Its Territory
- » Putin Offers Exchange of Prisoners to Biden
- » Trump Is ‘bright personality’ and Biden Is ‘career man’, According to Putin
- » European Parliament Proposed New Sanctions against Lukashenko’s Regime
- » NASA Boss Says US-Russian Cooperation in Space Should Continue