Riot Erupts in Dutch Town over Plan to Build Asylum Centre
Dutch police had to fire warning shots to disperse protesters opposing plans to build a centre for asylum seekers in the town of Geldermalsen on Wednesday night, the BBC reported.
Demonstrators threw fireworks and bottles at police in protest at the plan of municipal authorities to accommodate 1,500 asylum seekers in the town of 27,000 located 72 km from The Hague
According to local media reports, more than 2,000 people had taken part in the protest, which made local councilors to abandon their meeting convened to discuss the plan to build housing for migrants, SkyNews said.
The migration crisis in Europe is expected to dominate a meeting of EU leaders in Brussels on Thursday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Covid-19: Italy Registered 100,000 Coronavirus Deaths as New Curbs Are Expected
- » Covid-19: Serbia Closes Shops, Bars and Restaurants After Sharp Increase of Cases
- » India Tightens Up its Border Patrols to Stop Arrivals from Myanmar
- » Myanmar Sees Deadliest Day of Protests with 38 People Killed
- » Italy Blocks Australian Shipment of 250,000 AstraZeneca Coronavirus Vaccines
- » US Capitol police Warn of Possible Plot to Breach Congress