NATO Urges Restraint after Downing of Russian Warplane by Turkey
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg called for calm on Tuesday following the downing of a Russian warplane by Turkey.
“Diplomacy and de-escalation are important to resolve this situation,” Stoltenberg said in a statement after an extraordinary meeting of the North Atlantic Council in Brussels.
Stoltenberg said that he is looking forward to further contacts between Ankara and Moscow.
“I have previously expressed my concerns about the implications of the military actions of the Russian Federation close to NATO’s borders. This highlights the importance of having and respecting arrangements to avoid such incidents in the future,” Stoltenberg said.
Russia maintains that its Su-24 fighter bomber was above Syrian territory on Tuesday when it was hit by a missile fired from a Turkish F-16 fighter jet. According to the Turkish military, the Russian warplane had violated Turkey's airspace close to the border with Syria and had ignored 10 warnings to leave issued in the space of five minutes.
- » Hungary and Romania Called on to Correct Significant Budgetary Deviations
- » France's Deficit below 3% of GDP, Procedure Closed
- » Economic and Fiscal Policies: Country-specific Recommendations Approved
- » Donald Trump Wants illegal Migrants to be Deported without Judges or Courts
- » EU - African, Caribbean and Pacific Countries Future Partnership: Council Adopts Negotiating Mandate
- » VAT Fraud: Agreement on Measures to Boost Administrative Cooperation
There is a war declared on Europe a major war..jihad.. And in time time of war diversion and delusion are very important. Turkey is very close to Saudi Arabia and it is normal to expect that attempts will be made to use NATO and to divert the attention of the West towards Russia.. and at the same time loos track of the developments with the gradual increase of the Islamic pressure on Europe.
Tensions are escalating very fast everywhere which is a great concern. We are all losing track of the big picture, and for all the world\'s leaders we have, it seems futile that no-one is on the same page. No one is immune to this situation. Dark days ahead.