UN Security Council Adopts Resolution on Destroying Safe Haven of IS
The United Nations (UN) Security Council unanimously adopted on Friday a resolution on destroying the save haven of Islamic State (IS).
The Security Council called on all countries that can do so to take all the necessary measures in compliance with international law to take the war on terrorism to IS-controlled territory in Syria and Iraq.
It warned that the group has intention to wage further terrorist attacks like the ones carried out in the Tunisian resort of Sousse, the Turkish capital Ankara, the downing of the Russian airplane over the Sinai peninsula in Egypt and the most recent ones in Paris and Beirut.
The fifteen members of the Security Council declared the terrorist attacks of IS a "global and unprecedented threat to international peace and security".
The UN condemned "in the strongest terms" IS and other terrorist groups in the region such as the Al-Nusrah Front.
The body called on member states to intensify efforts to stem the flow of foreign terrorist fighters to Iraq and Syria and to prevent and suppress the financing of terrorism.
The Security Council noted the systematic abuses of human rights, violantions of humanitarian law and the destruction of cultural heritage carried out by IS.
The resolution expressed deepest condolences to the victims of the terrorist attacks and their families and the to the people of the governments of Tunisia, Turkey, Russia, Lebanon and France.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The EC welcomes the Dialogue between the Prime Ministers of Bulgaria and North Macedonia
- » Sweden and Finland - in Talks with NATO
- » Romania: Russia's Request for the Withdrawal of NATO Troops is Unacceptable
- » Bulgaria will Donate 250,000 doses of the Pfizer Vaccine to Bosnia and Herzegovina
- » Austria Introduces Compulsory Vaccination
- » Bulgaria: From Today Changes in the List of Countries falling into the Red Zone