Bulgarian President: Regime of Bashar al-Assad Is Not Part of Working Solution for Syria
President Rosen Plevneliev stated that similarly to the whole democratic world, Bulgaria has a firm stance on Syria, namely that the current dictatorial regime of President Bashar al-Assad, which is responsible for bombing thousands of people and innocent children, can not be part of a sustainable and working solution for the country.
Plevneliev welcomed on Tuesday the dialogue between Russia and the US and the efforts of the UN Security Council in trying to find a solution to the crisis.
However he warned that the process will not be an easy and swift one as everyone wishes for.
The Bulgarian Head of State made the statement in New York before the beginning of the summit on counteracting Islamic State (IS), which was convened on the initiative of US President Barack Obama.
Plevneliev pointed that the disagreement between Russia and the US continued and called for the more active involvement of the EU and the regional powers.
According to him, the EU is interested in finding a solution and is capable of effectively assisting the US, Russia as well as the regional powers which have equally important role to play.
Plevneliev said that the regional powers, in particular Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Iran, together with the global players and with the mediation of the EU must find a sustainable solution.
He identified Syria as the decisive factor in achieving progress in the Middle East.
In his words, the present situation with millions leaving their homes in fear for their lives represented the worst scenario.
Plevneliev stated that the war in Syria should be stopped immediately at all costs and the international community should wake up.
He reminded that UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had committed himself to the search of a long-term solution.
It was high time for the world to admit that the current situation is a tragedy and demonstrate its ability and desire to solve crises rather than deepening them.
The visit of Plevneliev will continue with meetings with the leaders of the Adriatic, Baltic and Black Sea regions.
The fight against terrorism will be discussed at the UN Security Council, which will convene on the request of Russia.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Speaker of Parliament: North Macedonia should Not Waste Time but should fulfill the Criteria for EU Membership
- » Bulgaria’s MFA on Kovachevski's words: Any Analogy with the Suffering of the Ukrainian people is Cynical and Inadmissible
- » Bulgaria’s Foreign Minister urged India to influence Russia to End the War against Ukraine
- » North Macedonia explained why a Bulgarian MEP was not allowed to enter the country
- » The Macedonian MFA: Bulgarian MEP Kovachev does not meet the Conditions for Entry into the Country
- » North Macedonia did not allow a Bulgarian MEP to enter the country