Renewed Escalation of Fighting in Ukraine Violates Minsk Ceasefire – EU
In a statement of its spokesperson, the European External Action Service (EEAS) noted on Tuesday that the renewed escalation of violence in Ukraine violated the spirit and letter of the Minsk ceasefire.
The EU refers to the latest attacks on several areas controlled by the government near Starohnativka on Monday and Tuesday.
The EEAS also expressed concern with the recent attacks targeting the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM), with OSCE monitors caught in cross-fire in Schastya and Shyrokyne on Sunday and SMM vehicles set on fire in Donetsk.
According to the Union, these incidents endangered the crucial role of SMM in monitoring and verifying the implementation of the Minsk ceasefire.
The statement notes that the Minsk Agreements are the basis for a sustainable solution of the conflict and fully respect the independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine.
The EU reiterates that the Minsk Agreements must be implemented in good faith, starting with full observation of the ceasefire and genuine withdrawal of heavy weapons.
The Union also calls for furthering talks within the Trilateral Contact Group, which would allow for complete implementation of the Minsk Agreements within the agreed time-frame by the end of the year.
On Monday, Ukraine accused the pro-Russian separatists of carrying out the heaviest shelling since the ceasefire was agreed in February, the BBC notes.
As previously, Russia denied any involvement in the fighting, while separatists hurled accusations at the government in Kiev for violating the ceasefire some forty times for 24 hours.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 647 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Israel-Hamas Conflict Threatens to Overshadow the War
- » Day 646 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky Calls For Rapid Construction of Fortifications in Key Areas
- » Day 645 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Bulgaria’s Decision to Not Let Through Lavrov’s Plane is Absurd says the Kremlin
- » Day 644 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Putin Will Not Make Peace Before Seeing the Results of the US Elections
- » Day 643 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Forces Breaking Through Defenses near Avdiivka
- » NATO Chief: Ukraine Managed to Get Back Half of the Lands Captured by Russia