IntMin Deploys Gendarmerie to Bulgaria's Lom after Clash Involving Roma
Police and gendarmerie forces were deployed to the Mladenovo neighbourhood of the Bulgarian town of Lom on Friday after a clash between local and Roma residents left several people injured.
Six Roma youths, who were coming home after a wedding, attacked a woman suffering from epilepsy and started to swear and shout insults at her, private bTV station reports.
A relative of the woman rushed to help her, entering into a fight with the Roma and later pulling out an air gun.
The man shot three of the Roma attackers, who were admitted to hospital and were later discharged after they underwent examination.
All participants in the clash testified to the police, while the gendarmerie guarded the neighbourhood in order to prevent the escalation of tension.
Later on Friday, Bulgarian Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova assured that the situation has been brought under control.
Bachvarova added that there was no threat for those affected and the interior ministry will continue to monitor the situation in the town.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend