Romanian PM Ponta Resigns Social Democratic Party Leadership
Romanian Prime Minister Victor Ponta resigned the leadership of the Social Democratic Party (PSD) on Sunday.
Ponta announced on his Facebook page that he steps down from any leading position in the party until he is proven innocent of the charges brought against him.
In case there was no judicial ruling by the date of the PSD congress, Ponta said that he will not run for any position and will just remain a party member.
However he highlighted that he will continue fulfilling his duties as prime minister.
Ponta expressed hope that his party fellows will successfully provide the PSD leadership during this period.
Romania's anti-corruption prosecutor's office has launched a probe against Ponta into allegations that include tax evasion and money laundering.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Turkey is preparing to take command of NATO forces in Kosovo
- » Earthquake with Magnitude above 5 in Romania, also felt in Hungary
- » Serbia: 68,000 Weapons were Handed Over to authorities
- » 700 NATO troops have arrived in Northern Kosovo
- » The Kremlin Supports the Serbs in Kosovo - The West blames Pristina
- » Stoltenberg: NATO will deploy 700 more soldiers in Kosovo