Bulgaria Expresses Concern over EU’s ‘Unrealistic’ Emission Reduction Commitments
Environment Minister Ivelina Vasileva expressed Bulgaria’s concerns over the overly ambitious and unrealistic emission reduction commitments of the EU after 2030 at a meeting of the Environment Council in Luxembourg.
Bulgaria’s fears were echoed by other EU Member States during the debates on air quality and the proposed directive for the reduction of national emissions of certain pollutants, according to a media statement of the Environment Ministry.
Although the initiative was welcomed by the majority of delegations, a number of contentious issues were yet to be resolved, according to Bulgaria’s Environment Ministry.
Bulgaria insisted on the need to take into account the competitiveness of the EU Member States bordering on non-EU countries and cross-border pollution.
Bulgaria’s Environment Minister made clear that Bulgaria would demand realistic ceilings reflecting the economic development of the different EU Member States in the ongoing talks.
During the Environment Council meeting, Vasileva managed to hold informal talks with Karmenu Vella, the EU Commissioner for the Environment, and Miguel Arias Ca?ete, the EU Commissioner for Climate Action and Energy.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Due to the Snow: Complicated Traffic Situation in Sofia
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Snowfall will Gradually Decrease in Western Bulgaria, Max Temp 3°-8°C
- » Hurricane Wind with Speed of 100 km/h, Hail and Fallen Trees in Bulgarian Town of Sliven
- » Bulgaria: Challenging Weather in the Next 48 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain will Continue all over the Country, Temperatures will be Low
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Expect Rain in the Evening, Max Temp Between 14°-19°C