Bulgaria Marks BGN 1,5 B Anual Losses in Agriculture
Bulgaria incurs an annual loss of about BGN 1,5 B and 500,000 employment opportunities on account of not producing enough agricultural products with added value, the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR) reported.
The reason behind the poor results is the uneven distribution of agricultural funds. The analysis has been provided by the economists from the Bulgarian academy of Sciences (BAN). Meanwhile, the agricultural sector has received an unprecedented amount of EU funds.
''Bulgaria is losing by turning into an untypical country exporting crops, as opposed to the traditional producer of meat, dairy products, fruit, vegetables, etc,'' stated Ognyan Bouikliev of the academy. ''This is kind of a paradox that we are experiencing. On the one hand, we have an incredibly high amount of money allocated to the agricultural sector, while simultaneously we see a negative effect upon it.''
Economists further noted that the main problem has been the lack of a national strategy and clearly set goals. They noted that there is no match between supply and demand on the market.
According to Prof. Mitko Dimitrov the government could easily renegotiate the fund allocation of the EU subsidies, but has demonstrated a lack of political will to do so.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria
- » Bulgarians and EU Citizens Will Enter UK only with Passports from October 1st
- » Bulgaria’s Town of Panagyurishte Awarded Title of European City of Sports in 2022