FIFA Postpones 2026 World Cup Bidding Process Amid Corruption Allegations
FIFA postponed the bidding process for the 2026 World Cup due to the alleged financial irregularities surrounding the 2018 and 2022 tournaments.
FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said that it was a “nonsense” to begin the process in the current climate, the BBC reports.
The vote, which will determine which country is to host the 2026 World Cup, is scheduled to take place in Kuala Lumpur in May 2017.
The USA seems to be the favourite for hosting the tournament, but Canada, Mexico and Colombia are also likely to express interest.
Russia and Qatar were selected to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups by a secret ballot among the 22 executive members of FIFA in December 2010.
FIFA is facing two investigations by the USA for widespread bribery allegations and by Swiss prosecutors over the 2018 and 2022 bidding processes.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Premier League Betting Overview for 2022/2023
- » Sports Betting with Betway
- » All of the EU except Bulgaria and Hungary Demand the Expulsion of Russia from World Sports
- » The Biggest Horse Racing Countries in Europe
- » Bulgarian Boxer Kubrat Pulev convincingly Defeated Jerry Forest
- » Dimitrov Double Dips Stateside