US Jury Sentences Boston Marathon Bomber to Death
An US federal jury sentenced on Friday Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombers, to death.
The ruling constitutes the first instance in the post-9/11 era in which federal prosecutors win a death penalty in a terrorism case, the CNN reports.
Tsarnaev could be sent to death row in Terre Haute in Indiana, but his final destination will not be known until a judge formally sentences him in court.
The jury deliberated for more than 14 hours over the space of three days before reaching the decision on death sentence.
Jurors had to decide between a life imprisonment or death sentence for Tsarnaev, who was convicted in April.
He was found guilty of planting the second of two pressure cookers, which caused the explosion on Boylston Street near the finish line of the marathon on 15 April 2013.
The homemade bombs, assembled from pressure cookers loaded with gunpowder and nails claimed the lives of three people and injured at least 240 people, 17 of them losing limbs.
The other bomb was planted by the brother of Dzhokhar, Tamerlan, who was killed in a shooting with police, which occurred several days after the bombing as the brothers were on the run.
The trial took 59 court days with more than 150 witnesses testifying before a jury of twelve people.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 466 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least 20 Injured after Russian Attack in Dnipro
- » The VP of the European Parliament: Bulgaria has done its Homework for Schengen
- » Day 465 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv is Ready to start its Counteroffensive says Zelensky
- » At least 280 Dead and over 900 Injured in a Crash between Two Trains in India
- » Tragedy in India: At least 50 Dead and hundreds Injured after Train Crash
- » 700 NATO troops have arrived in Northern Kosovo