British Conservatives Win Absolute Majority in Parliament
British Prime Minister David Cameron’s Conservative Party has secured an overall majority in Parliament, nearly final results of the general election showed on Friday.
The Conservatives had won 326 of 650 seats in the House of Commons by early afternoon in London, the BBC reported, projecting that the Conservatives’ total will increase to 331 by the time all votes are counted, a gain of 24 seats compared to the previous election five years ago.
The result of Thursday’s vote is in stark contrast to pre-election opinion polls that suggested the Conservatives and opposition Labour will be tied in a neck-to-neck race.
The result also means the Tories will have enough seats in the House of Commons to govern without having to seek support from smaller parties.
Labour won 230 seats, 25 short of the 2010 election result.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Finland Opens Its Borders, 14-Day Quarantine for Bulgarians
- » Nepal: Record 2020 COVID-19 Cases in the Day After Lockdown was Lifted
- » Yoshihide Suga Elected as Japan Prime Minister
- » Trump Says Science Doesn't Know About Climate Change, He Does
- » 3-Week Nationwide Isolation in Israel
- » Austria Officially Announced the Second Wave of COVID-19