Bulgaria's Grigor Dimitrov Defeats Wawrinka, Proceeds to Quarterfinals in Madrid
Bulgaria's top male tennis player Grigor Dimitrov proceeded to the quarterfinals of the men's singles competition of the Madrid Open.
Dimitrov won against Stanislas Wawrinka from Switzerland with 7:6 (5), 3:6, 6:3 in a match, which lasted just below two hours.
The Bulgarian recorded a third consecutive victory against his opponent in the five encounters between them, the first two having been won by Wawrinka.
Recently, Dimitrov defeated convincingly the Swiss with 6:1, 6:2 after a surprisingly poor performance by Wawrinka at the Monte-Carlo Masters.
Both players started the match in Madrid confidently, with Wawrinka achieving his first break for 3:2.
However Dimitrov responded in the next game, winning a break in return and equalising the score for 3:3.
Both the Bulgarian and the Swiss performed well in the tiebreak, but Dimitrov overwhelmed in the end.
Wawrinka achieved break in the first game of the second set, restored his confidence and won it with 6:3.
Dimitrov came 4:3 in the lead in the third set, managed to record a break for 5:3 and later claimed the match.
By reaching the quarterfinals, the Bulgarian recorded his best perfornamce in Madrid, daily Dnevnik reports.
Dimitrov will next face the winner of the match between Simone Bolelli from Italy and the Spanish Rafael Nadal.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Mobile Betting Apps: Sports News and Tips
- » Four Bronze Medals for Bulgarian students from the Informatics Olympiad
- » Nurgyul Salimova with a Record Rating in the FIDE Rankings
- » Nurgyul Salimova: I am Proud of what I have Achieved, I Felt the Support of many Bulgarians and People from all over the World
- » After 30 years: Bulgaria Won again the Team World Title in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- » Women's Spanish teams Refuse to Play until the President of the Football Federation is replaced