Explosion Rocks Office of Macedonia's Largest Albanian Party
A blast occurred late on Sunday near the office of the Democratic Union for Integration (DUI), the largest ethnic Albanian political party in Macedonia.
The attack took place in Mala Recica, a village populated by over 8000 people located in Western Macedonia, near its border with Albania.
No injuries were reported, but police immediately sealed off the region, according to Macedonian daily Utrinski vesnik.
A hand grenade was evidently thrown by an unnamed attacked riding a motorcycle, local news outlets report.
Mala Recica's population is almost entirely Albanian. It is part of Tetovo, a municipality where Albanians constitute some 80 percent of the population.
DUI has often been criticized in Macedonia over its de facto support for the government of PM Nikola Gruevski which, for its part, is accused by the opposition of applying pressure on the judiciary and the media and adding to the discrimination of ethnic minorities (in a country where ethnic Albanians constitute at least a quarter of the population).
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Croatian President: We stole Kosovo from Serbia, Crimea will never be Ukraine
- » Serbia: 43% of Citizens Support Joining the EU
- » Vucic: Serbia has received an Ultimatum from the West to Normalize Relations with Kosovo
- » North Macedonia’s President: Ban One MEP and Several other Bulgarians from Entering the Country
- » Vucic: I haven't Spoken to Putin for months, Wagner has to Stop recruiting Fighters in Serbia
- » Tension in Kosovo after an Albanian Shot two Serbian Boys