Fifth Edition of Chicago Folklore Festival Brings Bulgarians Closer to Home
The biggest cultural event in the Bulgarian emigrant community across the ocean happened in Chicago. This was the fifth edition of the folklore festival ''Vereya'', featuring the slogan ''Folklore is magic''.
For two days Bulgarian dance crews and singing groups celebrated as is the typical practice of the folkloric groups around Koprivshtica.
The ''101 Caba Gaydi'' of New York sent the audience back home, and were accompanied by the angelic voices of the choir ''Tiny Bulgaria'' of Chicago and ''Bulgarian Voices'' of Seattle. Professionals and amateurs from Los Angelis, Mineappolis, Boston, Saint Louis, Detroit and Toronto all celebrated the Bulgarian cultural heritage. Some people even called the festival the American Koprivshtica.
The first issue of the event was four years ago with four ensembles and over 100 participants, gradually becoming the most massive cultural even of Bulgarian immigrants in Northern America and has been warmly welcomed by local expat communities. This year over 40 ensembles and 600 individual performers from both Canada and the US were featured in the porgram.
Despite the fact that financing the project turned out to be the most difficult part but the organizers seem determined to continue the practice. Konstantin Marinov and folklore club ''Vereya'' have yet again managed to gather hundreds of Bulgarians from all across North America to enjoy the unique Bulgarian traditional songs and dances.
The event ended with all guests and participants holding hands for a huge traditional horo.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Plovdiv's Old Town to Host Spectacular Three-Day Wine Festival
- » Bulgarian Artist Radoslava Antonova Kostadinova Unveils 'Haikus': A Journey Through Words and Nature
- » Lviv National Opera and Ballet to Grace Sofia's Stage in Exclusive Western Europe Tour Stop
- » Orthodox Tradition: The Reverence of the Christian Family on Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- » Christmas Fasting Begins
- » The Russian Church in Sofia will be Reopened