Sofia's Waste Treatment Plant – Second Largest in Europe
The Plant for Mechanical Biological Treatment of Waste in Sofia will be the second largest in Europe, right after the unit in Spain's capital Madrid.
The announcement was made by expert in the Sofia Municipality Teodora Polimerova, as reported by Inews daily. She added that installations of the kind are numerous across Europe, the biggest number of which is in Germany, but none will have the capacity of the one currently being tested in Sofia.
The local plant is expected to be completed, tested and to start operating at the end of summer 2015. apart from recycling a massive portion of the waste produced in the capital, the unit will also be producing the so-called RDF fuel. It will in turn be used by Sofia's Heating Company, thus reducing the amount of gas used.
According to preliminary estimations, the waste treatment plant will be able to generate 178 tons of RTF on an annual basis. The installation is a part of the eco project of the capital, aiming at reducing harmful emissions and disposable waste.
It is also expected that gradually the produced fuel for the city's heating company can be increased by 180,000 tons annually, thus producing clean heat and electrical energy for close to 40,000 households.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Weather in Bulgaria will be mostly Cloudy, it will Rain in the Western regions
- » The Weather in Bulgaria will be mostly Cloudy
- » Yellow Code for Rain and Snow in 21 areas in Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria will be Cloudy and Rainy, Temperatures up to 8 Degrees
- » Yellow Code for Rain and Snow in Eastern and Southern Bulgaria
- » Cloudy Weather and Snow in Bulgaria Today