Liberian-Registered Ship Impounded at Varna Port After Unpaid Debt
The vessel with 14 Ukrainian sailors on board, currently anchored at the Varna port, ASIAN DREAM has issued state of emergency.
People on board now have limited food and water supplies, as reported by NOVA news.
The crew announced that they will abandon the vessel if they don't receive at least basic food supplies immediately.
The Bulgarian Red Cross ensured humanitarian aid for the sailors with provisions of primary necessity. The ship, sailing under a Liberian flag, arrived for renovation works at the Varna port over a month ago.
The vessel has been impounded on account of its numerous debts to companies and institutions and thus has not been allowed to leave the country.
ASIAN DREAM's crew members have not received salaries for over three months now. So far, both Ukrainian and Liberian authorities have been attempting to establish the ownership of the ship, registered in Liberia by a Greek company. However, investigators have stated that the ownership has been concealed behind a number of off-shore companies.
Apart from food, sailors are currently in need of urgent legal aid so that their statute in Bulgaria can be established and so that they could eventually receive their salaries.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Car with 17 Migrants collided with a Taxi in Sofia
- » Bulgaria: Helicopter Crash with One Dead
- » Bulgaria: Drone with a suspected Bomb was discovered near Tyulenovo
- » Bulgaria: Relatives of the Victims from the Flood in Tsarevo will receive 15,000 Leva in compensation
- » Bulgaria: A Man and a 4-Year-Old Child Died after a Car-Train Crash
- » Bulgaria: Child was Stabbed after a Fight between Minors in Yambol