Blast at VMZ Sopot's Ammo Warehouse Seems 'Caused on Purpose'
The explosion at a ammunition depot of the VMZ Sopot military plant in Iganovo would have been impossible without any deliberate action, according to the mayor of Sopot, the town where the plant is based.
Veselin Lichev told Focus News Agency on Tuesday that this incident cannot happen "just because of a fire". In his words, Bulgarian troops traveling abroad quote their colleagues in the Middle East as praising the quality of Bulgarian weapons produced at VMZ Sopot.
Lichev stressed that workers at the plant adhered to safety measures and therefore the explosion couldn't have been caused by human error, thus repeating the claim that the incident is a result of sabotage.
On Monday 24 Chasa daily quoted "unnamed insiders" who argue the investigation into the blast is currently focused on the version of "sabotage".
An explosion rocked one of VMZ Sopot's storage depots based in Iganovo, 18 km from Sopot, on Saturday evening, resulting in no casualties, but razing to the ground the warehouse where they were stored.
VMZ Sopot is a state-owned plant run by Bulgaria's Ministry of Economy.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Car with Ukrainian Registration was Set on Fire in Varna
- » A Dead Newborn wrapped in a Plastic Bag was found in Sofia
- » A 38-year-old Man from Burgas was Detained for Hammering Pickaxes into Ukrainian Cars
- » A Bus with Ukrainian Citizens caught Fire in Bulgaria
- » 4 People Died in a Fire at a Nursing Home in Varna
- » Cuba: At least 22 Casualties in a Hotel Explosion in Havana