Blast at VMZ Sopot's Ammo Warehouse Seems 'Caused on Purpose'
The explosion at a ammunition depot of the VMZ Sopot military plant in Iganovo would have been impossible without any deliberate action, according to the mayor of Sopot, the town where the plant is based.
Veselin Lichev told Focus News Agency on Tuesday that this incident cannot happen "just because of a fire". In his words, Bulgarian troops traveling abroad quote their colleagues in the Middle East as praising the quality of Bulgarian weapons produced at VMZ Sopot.
Lichev stressed that workers at the plant adhered to safety measures and therefore the explosion couldn't have been caused by human error, thus repeating the claim that the incident is a result of sabotage.
On Monday 24 Chasa daily quoted "unnamed insiders" who argue the investigation into the blast is currently focused on the version of "sabotage".
An explosion rocked one of VMZ Sopot's storage depots based in Iganovo, 18 km from Sopot, on Saturday evening, resulting in no casualties, but razing to the ground the warehouse where they were stored.
VMZ Sopot is a state-owned plant run by Bulgaria's Ministry of Economy.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Chain Car Crash involving 10 Cars and 2 Trucks on the Ring Road in Sofia (UPDATED)
- » Bulgaria: 14 Migrants detained in a Private Ambulance near Burgas - Driver Dressed as Paramedic (UPDATED)
- » Bulgaria: A Girl and a Woman Died in a Car Accident near Dimitrovgrad
- » Bulgaria: Pregnant Woman and a Child were Injured after a Police Car Chase with Migrants
- » Bulgaria: 42 Migrants caught in Nova Zagora
- » Bulgaria: Three Dead after a Car Accident in Stara Zagora region