Bulgarian Ammo Warehouse Blast Destroys 300 RPG Launchers
The blast at the ammunition depot of military plant VMZ Sopot in Iganovo has incinerated about 300 hand-held launchers for unguided anti-tank rocket-propelled grenades (RPG), 24 Chasa daily reported on Monday.
About 2,000 pieces of the shoulder-fired ammunition with an estimated value of USD 50 each exploded on Saturday at the warehouse. The fire that followed annihilated the building where they were stored.
The reasons for the blast that caused no loss of human life of injuries at the site and the nearby village of Iganovo haven’t been announced yet. An investigation is underway.
Bomb disposal experts combed the site of the blast on Monday morning before prosecutors entered the area to conduct a probe.
Quoting unnamed insiders, 24 Chasa claims that sabotage aimed at concealing a large-scale theft is allegedly the leading theory behind the investigation at the moment. However, no piece of evidence to support that theory has surfaced so far.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Employee of a Funeral Agency is Detained in Relations to the 7 Bodies found near Sofia
- » Bulgaria: 7 Bodies were Found close to a Cemetery near Bankya
- » A Car with Ukrainian Registration was Set on Fire in Varna
- » A Dead Newborn wrapped in a Plastic Bag was found in Sofia
- » A 38-year-old Man from Burgas was Detained for Hammering Pickaxes into Ukrainian Cars
- » A Bus with Ukrainian Citizens caught Fire in Bulgaria