MEP Barekov with 1 Lawmaker with Bulgaria Parliament after 2 Quit His Party
Two lawmakers of Bulgaria without Censorship, the party of MEP Nikolay Barekov in Bulgaria's Parliament, have left his entity.
Svetlin Tanchev and Georgi Kovachev, the former having been one of Barekov's most important MPs, have chosen to quit Bulgaria without Censorship, stating this in an open letter.
The two, however, will not leave Parliament and will remain part of the coalition Bulgarian Democratic Center, which was initially formed around Barekov's party.
It was Bulgaria without Censorship that in 2013 emerged as a rising political force, coming fourth in the 2014 European Parliament elections and sending Barekov and his one-time coalition partner Angel Dzhambazki to Brussels.
But Dzhambazki's party quit its coalition with Bulgaria without Censorship last summer to join the Patriotic Front (now supporting Bulgaria's government), and most other entities that had pledged alliance to Barekov are not out of his coalition.
Svetlin Tachev was also among those who split from their parties in Parliament last year to adopt a key position in the new political structure.
In October the Bulgaria without Censorship-led coalition sent 14 MPs to the Bulgarian Parliament. A parliamentary group called Bulgarian Democratic Center was formed then to stress that Barekov's partners were put on equal footing. However, as of March 12, 13 lawmakers have turned on Barekov, quitting Bulgaria without Censorship but remaining in the Bulgarian Democratic Center.
BDC lawmakers have made clear their voting in Parliament will not be in line with Barekov's statements.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Judges Association Demanded Resignation of Entire Supreme Judicial Council
- » Caretaker Interior Minister: Top Prosecutor Covers up for Corrupt Politicians, Magistrates in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Prosecution Office Requested More Info from US on Sanctioned Bulgarian Nationals under Magnitsky Act
- » Bulgaria Requests from US Additional Info on Persons Sanctioned under Magnitski Act
- » Passenger Vehicle Sales See Sharp Uptick in Bulgaria
- » EU Health Commissioner Comes to Sofia to Discuss Pandemic Issues, Vaccination