Bulgaria Beats Latvia, Proceeds to Second Round of Davis Cup
Bulgaria's tennis team defeated Latvia with 4:1 and proceeded to the second round of Group II Europe/Africa of the Davis Cup.
The Bulgarians started with a defeat on Friday after Aleksandar Lazov lost to Martins Podzus with 3:6, 5:7, 5:7.
However they managed to recover, recording four consecutive wins and claimed the final victory against their opponent, daily Dnevnik reports.
First, Dimitar Kuzmanov won against Janis Podzus with 6:4, 3:6, 6:3, 1:6, 12:10 and equalised the score on Friday.
The Bulgarians came in the lead after Tihomir Grozdanov and Ilia Kushev won at doubles against Janis Podzus and Martins Podzus with 3:6, 2:6, 6:4, 7:5, 6:1 on Saturday.
The third decisive victory was achieved by Dimitar Kuzmanov on Sunday, who defeated Martins Podzus 7:6 (6), 5:7, 6:2, 6:4 in a match that lasted nearly three hours and a half.
In the second round Bulgaria is to face the team of Luxembourg, which defeated Madagascar with 3:2.
In case Bulgaria achieves a victory in the second round, it will face Bosnia-Herzegovina or Hungary in a direct encounter for promotion to Group I of the Europe/Africa zone.
Bulgaria will considerably increase its chances for success if its top tennis player Grigor Dimitrov competes in the next round.
Dimitrov missed the matches with Latvia due to his forthcoming showdown with Roger Federer, which is scheduled to take place on March 10 at the Madison Square Garden in New York.
- » Bulgaria: Footballers and Fans of Lokomotiv Plovdiv with Coronavirus
- » Bulgaria's FC "Black Sea": Over 10 Football Players Test Positive for COVID-19
- » Bulgarian Minister of Sports Krassen Kralev : Stadiums Could Close Doors to Fans
- » 30 Years Later: Liverpool Is The New Champion of England!
- » Tennis Star Novak Djokovic Tests Positive for Covid-19
- » Coaches of Grigor Dimitrov and Novak Djokovic Tested Positive for COVID-19