National Campaign in Support of Bulgaria's Schengen Accession Launched
Deputy PM Meglena Kuneva, Justice Minister Hristo Ivanov and Culture Minister Vezhdi Rashidov joined efforts Thursday in the opening of Bulgaria in Schengen. It's Time! campaign.
The government representatives were present at the opening event at the Archeology Museum in Bulgaria's capital, Sofia, BTA news agency reported.
''We are today's citizens of united Europe. We find the double standard surrounding Bulgaria's accession to the Schengen Area unacceptable," the campaign video stated. "As everyone else in our European family, we are obligated to care for our common home, but can not live freely in it. This is why we want to say that we are not and have never been secondhand Europeans."
The video depicts Bulgarians, some everyday citizens, some wearing national folklore attire, all smiling while the national flag is waving on the background, and is available in several different languages.
The leader of the Party of European Socialists (PES) Sergey Stanishev was among the main initiators of the campaign, further supported by the Bulgarian government.
''I am sure that now is not the time to use Schengen as a stimulus, given the terrorism threats. However, I am not denying that we must complete our reforms," said Deputy PM Meglena Kuneva.
She added that the wish for accession will only be successful when the public opinion on the matter becomes united.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria